Monday, March 26, 2007

I Can See the Future. And it is Bleak.

I am able to make a diagnosis with 100% accuracy without looking at someone's biopsy. Here's how it works:

Me: (to Dr. O, oncologist in hallway) Hi Jim.

Dr. O: Hey, I have a patient for you. She's the sweetest lady, about 60, donates all her time to the church, is a loving wife and parent, has donated both her kidneys to strangers, walks on water, and has found a cure for AIDS. She has a little spot on her lungs I think is nothing. We are going to biopsy...

Me: Stop. Tell her she is going to die miserably. That spot is incurable and aggressive cancer. Tell her she will die weeks before her oldest daughter's wedding.

Dr. O: How did you know her daughter was getting married?

Me: Walk away before I start to weep uncontrollably.

Yes... I am magic.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, do I detect a link between pathology and emergency medicine? Yes! I do! See this post...

    http://docsontheweb.blogspot.com/2006/10/be-mean-and-nasty.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... I realize it's not the most original observation, but f**k if it doesn't happen every f**king day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too true..
    Just remember that since those patients suffered so much here on earth, their heaven will be that much greater!
    The dirtbags who live for themselves and indulge in every earthly pleasure... they've already had their "heaven".. they'll get whats coming to them one day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Love what you are learning and becoming.
    Very interesting reading. Thank's for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM AND GRATUITOUS LINK POSTINGS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED.