Wednesday, August 20, 2008

SupercalafragilsticHemochromatosis


So, I saw this patient today who probably has diabetes secondary to hemochromatosis. I haven't seen a case in awhile, so I started thinking about hemochromatosis...you know, humming a bit and saying the word "hemochromatosis". Next thing you know I penned this little number:

SupercalafragilisticHemochromatosis

Um diddle diddle, um diddle ay
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis
Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious.
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis!

Um diddle diddle, um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle, um diddle ay
Because I was afraid to speak
When I was just a lad
My father gave my nose a tweak
And told me I was bad
He told me that I glowed a tan
Without being in the sun, man
The biggest word you ever heard
And this is how it goes:
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis
Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious.
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis!

Um diddle diddle, um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle, um diddle ay
He traveled all around the world
And everywhere he went
He'd use his word and all would say,
"There goes an iron-overloaded gent"
When dukes and maharajas
Pass the time of day with me
I say my special word and then
They ask me out to phlebotomy! oh!
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis
Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis!

Um diddle diddle, um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle, um diddle ay
So when the cat has got your tongue
There's no need for dismay
Just summon up this word
And then you've got a lot to say
So many clinical stigmata
What else could it be?
Cirrhosis, heart failure, and diabetes what else could be the matta‘?
mutations of HFE are C282Y and H63D
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis!
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis!
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis!
SupercalifragilisticHemochromatosis!

xoxo,
Lofty

23 comments:

  1. Pssst, Lofty, its HEMO chromatosis, not HEMA, just remember "HOMO" with an "E" instead of an O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a looong day of editing, I nearly laughed up a lung with this. Thanks, Lofty...twas much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I sang the entire song I was impressed with how the word supercalifragilistichemachromatosis rolls right off my tongue. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found myself getting the groove on while repeating the number in my head. Too funny. I'm impressed how you can treat a patient and compose a number at the same time. Thank you for the good laugh :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time to lay off the twisted-cap wine, maybe?
    Very funny though. Interesting - in a Margaret Mead kind of way - to see how some minds work... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lofty, nice song. It really does fit. So is that the one where they bleed you on a regular basis?

    I saw this episode of House...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wish some lady with an umbrella would fly in and make my kds clean up their rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, just great, I'll never get that song out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey... that was great! I sang part of it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So this is what's going on in Dr.'s heads while the patients are rambling on about their tummy aches and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you're a better doctor than poet!! Loved it! By the way, to return to spelling, on this side of the pond we have the correct classical spelling of haemachromatosis :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been smoking WAY too much pot.

    And, by the way, did anyone else get a chubby when Julie Andrews showed her tits in "S.O.B."?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Etotheipi, you're so easily excited. Poor Julie may have been endowed with a larger than life voice, but "the girls" are woefully teensy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I was chided, belittled, and embarrassed into changing the spelling of hemachromatosis, haemachromatosis, hemochromatosis or whateva'.

    You bitches know I do what I want!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynn:
    It's not the size of 'the girls' that matter. It's the forbidden naked English Nanny / Austrian Nun vibe that gets me...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Etotheipi--My first boyfriend ever had a fetish for white knee socks, as they reminded him of his teenaged babysitter when he was little. Presumably when he was short enough to look up her short plaid skirt. And yes, I wore the socks occasionally. That was the year the US hockey team beat the Ruskies (sorry Doc X)

    ReplyDelete
  17. fucking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too funny... wish I'd heard it as a med student! Must link....

    ReplyDelete
  19. You da man lofty. I give you an A+.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We had a therapeutic phlebotomy pt. with this a while back; he called himself Tony Stark.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very catchy tune.

    When I was growing up my younger brother had to have a growth removed from his knee, a "pigmented villonodular synovitis". We thought the name was funny so he put it in a song where he said it over and over.

    Fast forward to 3rd year in medical school and somehow I wound up rheumatology rounds in which the attending was pimping everyone on a case of a boy with knee pain and swelling. He pimped the fellows, residents, and interns. They were stumped so I belted out my "pigmented villonodular synovitis" and left them all stunned.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gah! I guess an earworm prescribed by a medical professional is as good as a leech!

    Hum diddle liddle diddle...

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM AND GRATUITOUS LINK POSTINGS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED.